Interested in staying up to date on the latest news for UCSB graduate students? Subscribe to the UCSB GradPost.

University of California Santa Barbara
Campaign for the University of California Santa Barbara

Translate the GradPost:

Graduate Peers' Schedules

Winter 2016
Peer Advisor Availability

Writing Peer
Kyle Crocco

Mon: 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Tue: 10 a.m.-noon
Wed: 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Thu: 10 a.m.-noon

Funding Peer
Stephanie Griffin
Mon: 10 a.m.-noon
Wed: noon-2 p.m.

Diversity Peer
Ana Romero

Mon: noon-2 p.m.
Wed: 11 a.m.-1 p.m.

The peers sometimes hold events or attend meetings during their regular office hours. To assure you connect with your Graduate Peer Advisor, we encourage you to contact them by email and make an appointment.


Campus Map


View UCSB Graduate Student Resources in a larger map

« What's Keeping You from Finishing Your Dissertation? | Main | Webinar on Dealing with Stress and Rejection »

Grade Appeals, Faculty Misconduct, and Sexual Harassment

Student raising handCredit: openclipart.comOn the path to receiving a degree, graduate students may occasionally have an issue with a professor, or receive a grade that they don’t feel accurately reflects their course performance. UCSB's Graduate Division offers a variety of processes to help graduate students address such concerns.

Grade Appeal Process

The Graduate Division offers grade appeal options for students who feel there may have been administrative errors at work, issues with the professor, or other contributing factors.

Here are the required steps to contest a grade:

  • Try to discuss the grade with the professor. See if there might be an option to rewrite any papers to improve your grade. 
  • If this is unsuccessful, you should then speak to the Department Chair.
  • If both efforts fail, graduate students may file for a grade appeal. Details are listed on the Graduate Division website here.

Grade appeal requirements: 

  • Must be submitted before the end of the term following the quarter in which the grade was assigned. So, if you received the grade in winter quarter, you must turn in your grade appeal by the last day of spring quarter. This gives you a full quarter to first work with the professor and department chair to remedy the situation.
  • If the Graduate Division Dean denies the grade appeal, you can request that it be sent to the Graduate Council. You have 15 days to request the Graduate Council to review your complaint after receiving the Dean's decision.

At this stage, the Graduate Council can act to approve a retroactive withdrawal from the course (so that it won’t remain on your transcript), or a change of the contested grade. This process could result in your grade being raised, removed, or remaining the same. If the grade remains the same, the grad student has the option of retaking the course. The previous grade will then be replaced on your transcript if you improve on your second round.

For more information, peruse the Graduate Division information sites on the process. You can find a wealth of other helpful information on the Graduate Division Academic Services pages.

Faculty Code of Conduct and Complaints

Beyond grades, some faculty may occasionally violate the Faculty Code of Conduct as outlined by the UC Office of the President. To deal with these types of issues, graduate students may consider filing a complaint. Information regarding the Faculty Code of Conduct and the complaint process can be found on the relevant UCSB website here.

Office of Equal Opportunity and Sexual Harassment

Graduate students also have the Office of Equal Opportunity and Sexual Harassment as a resource. More information can be found on their website.

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
All HTML will be escaped. Hyperlinks will be created for URLs automatically.